The Great Fiji Butterflyfish Count: A Fiji-wide biodiversity assessment – (in prep) FICSF Fiji Islands Conservation Science Forum, August 2009, Suva, Fiji
- 90% of Fiji’s 27 Butterflyfish species can be found in most regions of the country.
- A few species are confined to certain areas only (Black C. flavirostris , Fourspot C. quadrimaculatus, and Dotted C. semeion , in particular).
- Butterflyfish numbers are high in most areas.
- Most volunteer surveys showed an accurate species spread, but more careful identification training is needed.
- It is important to have some scientific surveys of an area to identify likely species identification mistakes