Ever since the Fiji Ministry of Environment started keeping a list of consultants approved to carry out studies for Environmental Impact Assessments in 2008, Helen Sykes of Marine Ecology Consulting has been registered as a “Subject Specialist/ Technical Expert“.
A Technical Expert conducts specific studies and/or assessments based on their specialist field, and contributes those specialist studies to overall EIA reports.
All applicants must have either a degree with a minimum of 7 years of working experience in their selected field of expertise, or a Master’s Degree with a minimum of 5 years working experience, and have contributed to at least 3 approved EIA reports.
They must be highly competent in their selected field, (with supplied evidence) and be able to perform detailed assessments, which may include modelling.
Helen Sykes is registered to conduct studies in the four specialist areas of:
- Marine Flora and Fauna
- Marine Protected Areas
- Sustainable Tourism Uses of the Reef
All EIA consultants are required to sign and abide by a code of conduct which states that all registered individuals shall:
- Act professionally, accurately and in an unbiased manner;
- Strive to increase the competence and prestige of the environmental impact assessment profession;
- Assist those under my supervision (if relevant) in developing their management, professional and environmental impact assessment skills;
- Not to undertake any job that I am not competent to perform;
- Not to represent conflicting or competing interests and to disclose to any client or employer any relationship that may influence my judgement;
- Not to accept any inducement, commission, gift or any other benefit from any interested party or knowingly allow colleagues to do so;
- Not to intentionally communicate false or misleading information that may compromise the integrity of any EIA study; and
- Not to act in any way that would prejudice the reputation of the EIA Consultants Registration Scheme or the environmental consultants registration process and to cooperate fully with any inquiry in the event of any illegal breach of this code.