I was asked to give a Presentation to TS309 – Tourism Business Entrepreneurship at the University of the South Pacific – School of Tourism and Hospitality Management, Semester 1 – 2020, April 2020.
This is part of the Bachelor of Commerce in Tourism & Hospitality Management.
This was part of the class on Week 2 : The Eco in Tourism
1. Designing Practical Sustainability in South Pacific Island States Helen Sykes Resort Support www.resortsupportfiji.com Marine Ecology Consulting www.marineecologyfiji.com
2. Helen Sykes www.resortsupportfiji.com www.marineecologyfiji.com Worked in: UK, Saudi Arabia (Middle East) St Maarten (Caribbean) Honduras (Central America) In Fiji since 1996: Environmental Impact Assessments Sustainable Tourism Training Marine Protected Area Management Study Abroad Student Programmes Marine Ecologist, Dive Instructor Resort Manager
3. On-line Resources (Moodle) Booklets written 2001 – 2003 Checklist for Sustainable Tourism Developments Two simplified versions for sustainable village-based tourism developments in English and Fijian languages Review of wastewater management in Fiji’s Tourism industry
4. Most South Pacific marketing features the natural environment in some way
5. All levels of development need to preserve their environment
6. 2003 booklet has simple check-list style guidelines for ease of use ? Set of instructions for developing a sustainable operation ? Assessment of existing development ? Improvement suggestions ? Practical measures
8. Why? ? Not everyone wants to “save the planet” ? There must be sound business reasons for doing so
9. How? Simple checklist format explains: ? what to do ? how to do it ? the main points you need to know about it
10. 1. Construction and Building Design For the detailed points under each of the eight categories, refer to the publication: “Making Small Hotels And Resorts Environmentally Sustainable: A Simple Checklist For Fiji Operators” Fiji Integrated Coastal Management Project 2003
11. 2. Minimising Energy Use http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/ http://matava.com/ecology/conservation-and- the-environment/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqpQZd9XxJM https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/best-window-air- conditioners/
12. 3. Minimising Water Use https://www.motherearthnews.com/green-homes/low-flow-toilets-zmaz06aszraw https://fixatap.com.au/drip-calculator
13. 4. Minimising Rubbish and Garbage https://borgenproject.org/tag/poor-water-quality/ https://www.pinterest.com/pin/860961653734169341/ https://www.singleportions.co.uk/duerrs-assorted-jams— new-smaller-14g-portions-1950-p.asp
14. 5. Minimising Discharge and Emissions
15. 6. Landscape Management https://www.travelonline.com/fiji/mamanuca- islands/accommodation/musket-cove-island-resort https://www.seniorsnews.com.au/news/travel-time-for- fabulous-fun-in-fiji/3153420/
16. 7. Suppliers and Contractors http://theconversation.com/plastic-packaging- is-often-pollution-for-profit-95015 https://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/morrison s-first-supermarket-ban-fruit-plastic-packaging-546557
17. 8. Staff and Local Communities https://www.iucn.org/content/first-waste-art-workshop-series
18. Appendix and information boxes with practical measures Basic information on self-cooling buildings, sustainable toilet systems, compost piles, non-polluting supplies, seawall use etc.
19. Finding the balance No development: ? no money or jobs ? overuse of natural resources Too much or careless development: ? initial profit ? environmental damage ? short project life span Balance of careful development: ? long term profit ? environmental preservation ? sustainable project https://andrewlainton.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/national-planning-policy- framework-forensics1-sustainable-development-definition/
20. Vinaka! Resources available on Moodle: ? “Making Small Hotels And Resorts Environmentally Sustainable: A Simple Checklist For Fiji Operators” Fiji Integrated Coastal Management Project 2003 ? Simple guidelines for Village Tourism (English language) ? Simple guidelines for Village Tourism (Fijian language) Also see website: https://www.marineecologyfiji.com/fiji-checklist-sustainable-tourism-development-the-green-book/